On 6 March 1912, Sirs Alphonse Bellamy and Eugène Loubignac, both of whom were farriers, filed the articles of association for a workers’ production co-operative called ‘L’Union des Maréchaux’ with the clerk’s office at the town hall of the 14th Arrondissement of Paris.
The company’s head office was located at 18 Rue Niepce in the 14th Arrondissement of Paris XIV and our two confederates, who were soon joined by other fellow-workmen, struck the first hammer blows a stone’s throw from the Eiffel Tower.
At that time, the company had no fewer than 6 farrieries in Paris.
The 1920s witnessed the decline of horse-related business, at the same time as the ramping up of industrial forge activity.
The company was now called ‘L’Union des Maréchaux et Forgerons’ and was established at Ivry. Business was based on 150 kg, 250 kg and, subsequently, 500 kg forge hammers.
In the late 1960s, a brand new factory was established at Méréville (Essonne), in the middle of open fields!
From that period onwards, time flew faster, with a succession of innovations and expansions:
- 1967: Construction of the forge building,
- 1974: Use of the first remote manipulators in the independent forge sector,
- 1985: Forge work devoted to aluminium, titanium, nickel and cupro-aluminium alloys,
- 1987: The head office is relocated and a specific building devoted to heat treatment is constructed,
- 1992: Inauguration of a 1,000-tonne forging press,
- 1996: Expansion of the heat treatment workshop and creation of the machining subsidiary (the firm Mérévilloise de Mécanique)
- 1999: Expansion of the forge building and commissioning of a circular rolling mill,
- 2005-2007: Expansion of the Mérévilloise de Mécanique building and the arrival of the first digitally-controlled machining equipment, etc..
Today, 600 kg to 2,000 kg forge hammers stand alongside a press and a circular rolling mill.
L’UNION DES FORGERONS is the result of the courage and perseverance of its founders.